Strasheela is a highly expressive constraint-based music composition system.
Strasheela is a highly expressive constraint-based music composition system. The Strasheela user declaratively states a music theory and the computer generates music which complies with this theory.
A theory is formulated as a constraint satisfaction problem (CSP) by a set of rules (constraints) applied to a music representation in which some aspects are expressed by variables (unknowns).
Music constraint programming is style-independent and is well-suited for highly complex theories (e.g. a fully-fledged theory of harmony). The results can be output into various formats including MIDI, Lilypond, and Csound.
- Main additions and changes:
- Fixed serious bug: core of Strasheela dependend on IOzSeF, now IOzSeF support moved into an extra contribution functor IOzSeF (thanks to Ajay Dhar for pointing out this problem)
- Added Windows batch files for installation etc. (thanks to Ajay Dhar for a first version!!)
- Added functor Segments: a collection of re-usable musical segments (sub-CSPs) such as a contrapuntual line, motifs, or a homophonic chord progression
- Added several harmony-related constraints to HS.rules: RestrictPitchDomain, OnlyOrnamentalDissonance_Durations, NoParallel, NoParallels, MakeIntervalConstraint, PerfectConsonances, IsPerfectConsonanceR, Limit3Consonances, IsLimit3ConsonanceR, Limit3Intervals_2, IsLimit3IntervalR_2, Limit5Consonances, IsLimit5ConsonanceR, IsLimit_3_5_ConsonanceR, IsLimit7ConsonanceR, IsLimit_3_5_7_ConsonanceR, and GetRootPCIntervals
- Schoenberg-TheoryOfHarmony.oz: the examples produced parallel fifths/octaves (between voices more than an octave ap...