SoX is the Swiss Army knife of sound processing tools.
SoX is the Swiss Army knife of sound processing tools. SoX project converts audio files among various standard audio file formats and can apply different effects and filters to the audio data.
- RAW sound data in various data styles
- RAW textual sound data
- Amiga 8svx files
- Apple/SGI AIFF files
- SUN .au files
- PCM, U-law, A-law, G7xx ADPCM files
- mutant DEC .au files
- NeXT .snd files
- AVR files
- CD-R data (music CD format)
- CVS and VMS files (continous variable slope)
- GSM raw data (with optional library)
- Macintosh HCOM files
- Amiga MAUD files
- MP3 files (with optional external library)
- Psion Record.app files
- IRCAM SoundFile files
- NIST SPHERE files
- Turtle beach SampleVision files
- Soundtool (DOS) files
- Yamaha TX-16W sampler files
- Sound Blaster .VOC files
- Dialogic/OKI ADPCM .VOX files
- Ogg Vorbis files
- Microsoft .WAV files
- PCM, U-law, A-law, MS ADPCM, IMA ADPCM, GSM (optional), RIFX (big endian)
- Psion (palmtop) A-law .WVE files
- Record and Play from OSS or ALSA /dev/dsp and Sun /dev/audio.
- nul file type that reads and writes from/to nothing.
- The following effects can be applied to sound data:
- Channel averaging, duplication, and removal
- Band-pass filter
- Band-reject filter
- Compress and Expand (compand) the dynamic range of samples
- Chorus effect
- DCShift audio
- Deemphases filter
- Move soundstage to front of listener.
- Add an echo or sequence of echos
- Fade in or out
- Apply a flanger effect
- Apply a high-pass filter
- Apply a low-pass filter
- Display a list of loops in a file
- Add masking noise to a signal
- Multi-band Compander
- Pan sound between channels
- Apply a phaser effect
- Change the pitch of a sound file without affecting its speed.
- Change sampling rates using several different algorithms.
- Repeat audio data
- Apply a reverb effect
- Reverse sound samples (to search for Satanic messages
- Detect periods of silence and start and stop processing based on it
- Change the speed of samples being played (without affecting pitch)
- Display general stats on sound samples
- Stretch/shorten the duration of a sound file.
- Swap stereo channels
- Create sounds with a simple synthesizer
- Trim audio data from beginning and end of file.
- Add the world-famous Fender Vibro-Champ effect
- Adjust volume of samples.
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in version 14.3.0
- New filter effects: `sinc', `fir', `biquad'.
- Other new effects: `stats', `overdrive', `vad'.
- New audio device handler for OpenBSD.
- Fixed problems with temporary file on Windows.