Mp3dings is a small, powerful and easy-to-use program that allows you to change the names and edit the meta-information of a large number of mp3 files at the same time.
Programs with similar scope usually lack the ability to process a large number of ID3 tags at the same time. Mp3dings is written in Java and can thus be used on every platform for which there is a Java Runtime Environment.
ID3 is a standard to store meta-information (author, title etc.) inside an audio file. An ID3v1 tag takes up a fixed number of bytes at the end of the file. This makes ID3v1 easy to implement but also severely limits the kind and amount of data such a tag can contain.
ID3v2 tags on the other hand can be arbitrarily large and can be used to store just about any kind of data. Naturally, this makes it quite hard to implement routines that read and write these tags. Mp3dings fully supports ID3v1 tags and a core set of ID3v2 frames (which will be extended gradually).
Here are some key features of "Mp3dings":
· transfer information from filenames to ID3 tags and vice versa
· consistently name and/or tag your mp3 files
· reorganize the directory structure of your mp3 collection
· Java 2 Standard Edition Runtime Environment
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed several encoding issues.
· File drag & drop works under Gnome/Linux.