Mazaru is a media library, and media player that currently supports flv video, and mp3 audio.
Mazaru is intended to be cross platform running anywhere that a .NET framework and the Adobe Flash Player (version 9) are available.
Mazaru been tested running as a service on both Linux and MacOSX using mono.
Here are some key features of "Mazaru":
· It provides a consistent interface as both a local application, and a web application being accessed remotely.
· Mazaru will organize all library content into a hierarchical folder structure, supporting compilation folders where multiple artists are grouped together, or a normal artist/album/track hierarchy.
· It also has two categories of music in each library, sorted and unsorted. This feature is intended for those people who have large volumes of music which is currently in various states of tagging and organization, who do not want this data mingling with their "pristine" sorted music. Unsorted music is kept (still using the same organization hierarchy as above) in a special sub folder labeled "Unsorted"
· Importing new music can also be done in two ways.
· The first way to import new files is by simply using the interface to browse for and add files. Files selected are then copied into the library and indexed and stored by their tag information.
· The second way to import new files is to place them into the special "Drop Target" sub folder of any library. Files placed in this folder will automatically be added to the library as long as Mazaru is running, and they are of a supported type.
Mazaru started with a couple of reasons in mind.
· iTunes is nice, but its not available on linux, and some of the bugs on windows are just too annoying.
· Banshee is nice, but its not available on windows or osx
· None of these other solutions permit full access over http for management and playback.
· I wanted an application that would support multiple local libraries so that content such as movies or books could be stored and indexed separately from music.
· I thought it would be fun.
· IKVM (a java runtime for .NET)
· jetty (a java http server)
· db4o (a .NET object database)
· The SWT Toolkit (a java gui toolkit)
· TagLib Sharp (a C# library for id3 reading and writing)
· jaudiotagger (a java library for id3 reading and writing, soon to be removed)
· Jakarta commons fileupload (a java api for multipart mime parsing)
· SoundPlayer (a sound player class for flex 2)
· Tango Icon Gallery (an open source icon library)
What's New in This Release:
· Improved ui with better sorting, and filtering features
· Running as a Windows Service
· Password Protection
· Numerous improvements in underlying data handling