MO3 is a file format, encapsulating the features of several "MOD" formats.
All this makes it possible to have great reductions in file sizes with practically identical sound quality. Actually MO3 allows greater quality compositions because MP3/OGG encoding works best with 16-bit samples, so there's no reason to use low quality 8-bit samples anymore.
Here are some key features of "MO3":
- any command-line MP3 or OGG encoder can be used with the MO3 encoder
- samples that don't compress well with MP3/OGG can still be reduced in size
- all the non-sample data is also compressed
Sample specific config
- the encoding sample/bit rates are individually adjustable for each sample
- message/instrument/sample texts can optionally be removed
- MO3 files can be decoded back to their original formats using UNMO3
- MO3s can be played by XMPlay and software that uses the BASS library or UNMO3