LAME is short from LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder and is a research project for learning about and improving MP3 encoding technology. LAME includes an MP3 encoding library, simple frontend application, a much-improved psycho-acoustic model (GPSYCHO), and a graphical frame analyzer (MP3x).
Please note that any commercial use (including distributing the LAME encoding engine in a free encoder) may require a patent license from Thomson Multimedia.
Software which uses "LAME":
� andromeda (PHP and ASP) Dynamically presents collections of mp3s as streaming web sites.
� rip (Perl) Script for ripping and encoding.
� avifile AVI/DIVX encoder and decoder for Linux.
� Grip (Linux) gtk-based cd-player, ripper and encoder. Supports cddb, cdparanoia and LAME.
� jbm2 (Linux) A KDE jukebox style application for public places (bars, pubs,...)
� Krabber (Linux) A KDE ripper & encoder, can use LAME.
� Mp3Maker (Linux) A WindowMaker enhanced front end to cdda2wav/cdparanoia and lame/bladeenc.
� dekagenc (Linux) Bourne shell script for ripping, encoding and CDDB naming.
� ripperX (Linux) GTK frontend for rippers and several encoders featuring CDDB support.
� T.E.A.R. (Linux) frontend to LAME, cdparanoia and CDDB.
� Xmcd. (Linux) CD Player with CDDB and ripping to MP3 and OGG.
� xtunes (Linux) GTK frontend for LAME, MAD, cdparanoia, cdrecord and more.
� DropMP3 (Mac) includes LAME binaries.
� CDex (Windows) Ripper & encoder, includes LAME binaries (the Blade compatible dll)
� Lamedrop (Windows) OggDrop style frontend.
� LAMEX (Windows) An activex control for LAME, and a GUI. Source code only, includes LAME.
� m3w (Windows) A live mp3 streamer for the WWW. Works with LAME, icecast, soundcard input
� out_lame (Windows) Winamp output plug-in. Create MP3 files directly from Winamp!
� RazorLame (Windows) The RazorBlade front end now supports LAME.
� winLAME (Windows) The only *nice* windows UI for LAME, according to the author :-)
� DarkIce Live streamer for IceCast.
� LiveIce Real time streaming of mp3s. Works with IceCast
� MuSE A mixing, encoding and streaming engine.
� Flash Forth a Flash-like development library
Here are some key features of "LAME":
· Many improvements in quality in speed over ISO reference software. See history.
· MPEG1,2 and 2.5 layer III encoding.
· CBR (constant bitrate) and two types of variable bitrate, VBR and ABR.
· Encoding engine can be compiled as a shared library (Linux/UNIX), DLL or ACM codec (Windows)
· free format encoding and decoding
· GPSYCHO: a GPL'd psycho acoustic and noise shaping model.
· Powerfull and easy to use presets
· Quality is comparable to FhG encoding engines and substantially better than most other encoders.
· Fast! Encodes faster than real time on a PII 266 at highest quality mode.
· MP3x: a GTK/X-Window MP3 frame analyzer for both .mp3 and unencoded audio files.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added support for the DirectShow IAMStreamConfig Interface to the LAME encoder filter output pin.
· Modified the DirectShow filter registration section so that the LAME Encoder filter is correctly registered in the Audio Compressors filter category. This will allow third-party encoding applications using the DirectShow System Device Enumerator Interface to correctly detect the LAME encoder when querying the Audio Compressors filter group.
· Modified the filter registration information so that the MP3 audio subtype is correctly reported as being supported on the encoder output pin. This will allow third-party encoding applications using the DirectShow IFilterMapper2 Interface to recognize that the LAME encoder supports MP3 output.
· Altered the Filter Merit Value that was being used when the filter was registered so that it is now using the standard DirectShow compressor filter merit value of MERIT_DO_NOT_USE (0x200000). Previously, the filter was being registered using a value of MERIT_SW_COMPRESSOR (0x100000), which was at a lower priority (i.e. worse priority) than MERIT_DO_NOT_USE. This prevented the LAME Encoder filter from being selected for use by some third-party encoding applications.
· Added code to calculate the frame length of the audio frames used for the nBlockSize element of the WAVEFORMATEX output structure. Previously this value was simply hard-coded to 1.
· Fix for Bugtracker item [ 2973877 ] A problem regarding the new drain code