SMS Sidebar is a Thunderbird extension that allows you to send SMS over a internet gateway.
It provides advanced SMS features that are not available on cellphones or other services and a smart interface to optimize your experience.
I have choosen the very reliable Aspsms.com in Switzerland as gateway to the mobile world. They're cheap and give away free start credits. Why pay you ask? Well, have a look at the...
How to Install in Thunderbird:
1. Right-click the link below and choose "Save Link As..." to download and save the file to your hard disk.
2. In Mozilla Thunderbird, open Add-ons from the Tools menu.
3. Click the Install button, and locate/select the file you downloaded and click "OK".
Here are some key features of "SMS Sidebar":
· long sms, updateable sms
· flash sms (immediately on display, not saved in phone)
· asian and oriental sms ("UCS-2")
· delivery report for each recipient (eg. "delivered" or "phone memory full"...)
· send message to multiple recipients (up to 1000)
· smart, dynamic interface in a resizeable sidebar with tabs
· sender: alphanumerical or your own mobile number
· contact and message lists
· store, update, search, sort and delete contacts
· store and delete messages
· set time allowed for delivery
· free starter credits
· test mode: full simulation before you invest in credits
· displays your sms credits
· displays gateway connection status
· displays remaining free characters left in message
· max lengths: 160 chars (70 chars in UCS-2)
· long sms: 153 chars per segment (65 in UCS-2)
· all private data (numbers, messages) are stored locally, not on a server
· can delete all contacts or messages at once
· can internationalize numbers automatically
· integrated manual
· Mozilla Thunderbird
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Compatible with Firefox 3.1a1pre
· Compatible with Thunderbird 3.0a2pre
· Tons of layout improvements (especially Mac and Linux)
· Better OS-specific styling code