Bookmark Favicon Changer is a Firefox and SeaMonkey extension that allows you to right click at your bookmark (Bookmark menu, Bookmark toolbar, Bookmark sidebar, Bookmark manager); the popup menu with option "Change Favicon", "Reset Favicon", "Remove Favicon" and "Export Favicon" will appear.
File types support are ico, bmp, gif, jpe, jpg, jpeg, png, apng (every file types that Firefox or SeaMonkey support including URL).
Support every size of image file. There is no different in disk space requirement between big and small image size. Every image will be resized and changed to 16x16 pixels png files and saved.
After changing favicon, there is no need for that favicon file to exist again.
Bookmark folder, Livemark container and livemark item favicon can be changed too! (Note that form Firefox version 13 and SeaMonkey version 2.10, you cannot chage favicon of livemark item. Livemark item do not support favicon anymore and has only two icon stage: "not visited" and "visited").
After changing favicon, you can reset it back or remove it and use the default one.
Support bookmark favicon export. No matter what it is the original favicon or changed favicon.
[Optional] When you backup bookmark, you can embed favicon data in it (only JSON file format). So you can get these favicons back easily when restore bookmark.
Trustworthy because "Bookmark Favicon Changer" is the open source extension. You can check it by yourself that there is no backdoor or any harmful things inside (Note: Mozilla require you to log in before you can view the source online).
· This extension is designed for bookmark favicon only. Tab icon is not protected. You may see that tab icon is changed back, this is normal.
· Animated favicon is not supported. Animated favicon will be changed to normal non-animated favicon and saved.
· Only changing bookmark folder and livemark container favicon require bookmark sidebar and bookmark manager to reload. Reloading will be done automatically by my extension.
· Bookmarks that have the same URL will have the same favicon. But folders that have the same label can have different favicon.
· "Embed favicon data in JSON Bookmark backup file" can make backing up bookmark slower. And it will make Firefox and SeaMonkey quit slower too because Firefox and SeaMonkey normally automatic backup your bookmark when quit. The other thing is you can restore these favicons back only when this extension is installed and active.
· Due to custom favicons for bookmarks and folders are not standard, they are applied methods. So, the other add-ons that do bookmark synchronizing such as firefox Sync, SeaMonkey Sync Xmarks or FEBE may not understand this. They may not kind to your custom favicons and nothing I can do about this. The solution is to backup your favicon by enable "Embed favicon data in JSON Bookmark backup file" option or "export all custom favicons". This will help you by restor favicons back when something not right occur.
· Firefox Only - On rare occasion, you may experience firefox freeze or slow down. This usually occur by damaged "Places database" which caused by improper firefox shutdown or bug in firefox upgrading process. Due to this add-on use an extensive bookmark access (which is store in "Places database"), this error symptom will appear more easiler and more frequently. Please see this link and this link for more informations to solve the problem.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improve some privacy for Firefox 20 per-window private browsing.
· Note that favicon that was set previously by version before 1.40 may not be protected or not work properly. Re-setting favicon again by this version will solve the problem. Sorry for inconvenience.