YAZ Proxy application is highly configurable and can be used in a number of different applications, ranging from debugging Z39.50-based applications and protecting overworked servers, to improving the performance of stateless WWW/Z39.50 gateways.
Here are some key features of "YAZ Proxy":
· Configurable logging
· SRU/SRW server function, to allow any Z39.50 server to also support the ZiNG protocols
· Load balancing across multiple backend servers
· Session-sharing and pre-initialization to improve performance in servers with expensive session initialization
· Configurable request filtering, to keep bad requests from reaching the server
· XML support -- MARC records can be converted to MARCXML, and XSLT-transformations allow the proxy to support arbitrary retrieval schemas in XML
· Load governor function limits requests from aggressive batch-mode clients
· Efficient multiplexing software enables small memory footprint and very high performance
NOTE: The YAZ Proxy, a complete application, is available under the GPL license. Other licensing terms are available to commercial vendors upon request.