OpenFWTK design principles and compatibility API are based
on Trusted Information Systems Firewall Toolkit and contributed software. The TIS fwtk was written by Marcus J. Ranum and Frederick Avolio. Due to licensing issues OpenFWTK shares little code with TIS fwtk, limiting its presense to small parts that were put to public domain, but the overall
architecture and configuration format of TIS fwtk have big influence on this software.
· a decent Unix system with C compiler
· ncurses library (X/Open curses is not ok!)
· OpenSSL libraries and headers
· milter library (provided with the tarball, cd libci_milter && make )
· berkeley db of any flavor supporting classic ndbm interface
Check fwtk/configs for predefined compile settings.
Select appropriate one, place it in fwtk/Makefile.config OSTYPE =, cd fwtk && make && make install.
Create /usr/firewall/etc/netperm-table (or in any other place defined by PREFIX in configs), fill it with appropriate rules according to your network access policy (see manual pages provided in the package), write a startup script and you get your firewall running.