collective.subscribablesections is a Plone product intended to solve the use case for "closed sections", which are described as "sections for which a subscription is necessary". This is rather a broad issue, and as is often the case, the details will probably be filled in later, but i'm sure the use case will sound familiar to a lot of people.
The standard Plone functionality does a good job: making folder private takes care of security, and it's easy to share the folder with a user (or group).
What's missing for the use case is, in my opinion:
- a way for Managers to mark certain folders as being a "closed section"
- for Members, a list of subscribable "sections"
- a mechanism for users to request a "subscription"
- a way for Managers to approve subscriptions
- a list of users's "subscriptions"
These are all fairly minor things, which should work easily with Plone's functionality.
It seems there's nothing around yet that works for Plone 4 (we're targeting 4.2). I've looked at collective.groupspaces.* briefly, but it looks too big. collective.groupspaces.content adds a content type (subclasses ATFolder), which i don't like. And it appears not to work for Plone 4, though i haven't tried installing it yet.
· Plone CMS
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Updated setup.py: url, author.
· Check if user exists before including them in subscriptions/requests list.
· Bugfix: Define Section's title and description in proper place in insufficient_privileges template.