webCDwriter can be used to make the CD- and DVD-writer(s) connected to a Linux box available to all users in your network.
webCDwriter consists of the server CDWserver and the clients webCDcreator and rcdrecord. CDWserver stores the files transmitted by the clients, reserves the CD-writer and controls the CD-writer using cdrecord.
webCDcreator is a Java applet that runs within your browser or by Java Web Start, assists you when putting together a CD, and transmits the files. Finally rcdrecord is a command line client that tries to offer the functionality of cdrecord over the network with full multi-user support.
Here are some key features of "webCDwriter":
· multi user support
· the client webCDcreator can run as a JavaTM Web Start application or as an applet within your browser
· fully web-based - no installation on the clients
· supports data CDs, audio CDs and multisession
· use the image of a bootable floppy to make a bootable CD for PCs
· the ISO image of data CDs is created while burning (saves time and disk space)
· MP3 decoding for audio CDs using mpg123
· multi writer support (connected to the same server) burning independent sessions
· export of server directories
· verifying the CD after writing it (optional)
· copying a data CD in a CD-ROM drive on the server "on the fly" to the CD-writer
· user accounts
· upload the files from one machine and burn them by another one
· command line client rcdrecord
· Catalannew, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Korean and Spanish web pages
· Catalannew, Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Sloveniannew, Spanish and Swedish messages in webCDcreator
· If you get empty boxes instead of the characters, try to modify your font.properties file.
· Note: Chinese and Korean support is still experimental. I need feedback on this!
· the server was tested on Mandrake Linux 9.0
· at least 800 MB of free disk space on the server for one session
· JavaTM Web Start 1.0.1 and above
· JavaTM Plug-in 1.2 and above
· Netscape Communicator 4.5x to 4.7x
· mkisofs sometimes fails to build an image
· Netscape fails to run webCDcreator on Mac OS
· webCDwriter requires cdrecord-1.10 if used on Linux kernel 2.4
· mpg321-0.1.5 (Red Hat Linux 7.2) runs into an endless loop
· Since Linux kernel 2.6.8 CDWserver (the server of webCDwriter) has to run with "root" privileges to enable cdrecord to burn CDs.
What's New in This Release:
· This release contains some adaptations for recent versions of Ubuntu Linux.