snif is a project which creates simple and nice directory listings.
snif (simple and nice index file) is a single PHP file that creates a nice directory listing of whichever directory you put it in.
Translations are available for English and German, and others can be added very easily.
Snif does not require any other files or special installation, and supports file and directory descriptions, sub-directories, sorting, automatic thumbnails, file icons, directory splitting, and hidden files wildcards.
Output is valid XHTML and CSS.
Here are some key features of "snif":
· ready to run: you don't have to change anything, just put snif into a directory and let it do its job
· single file, doesn't clutter your directories
· file and directory descriptions
· automatic thumbnails for image files
· thumbnail caching
· fully translatable, translation is used for foreign visitors automatically. 16 translations are included: Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Polish, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish.
· download files instead of opening
· listing sortable by name, size or date
· display sub directories and handle direct requests to them gently
· built-in file icons
· optional: use external icons instead of built-in ones
· customizable using an external CSS file
· configuration can be shared among multiple instances
· conforms to XHTML 1.1 and CSS 2.0
What's New in This Release:
· added a Czech translation (thanks to Jan Pinkas)
· added an Italian translation (thanks to Luca Soltoggio)
· fixed an XHTML glitch in thumbnail tags