retroBBS is a small but functional Perl script that provides a simple, MySQL based, 1980s style message board.
The idea behind this program was to provide console users some kind of BBS without the need of a webserver and a console browser like lynx (and because it was fun doing it). By now it offers only basic functionality, but new features or updates of the existing code may follow.
Here are some key features of "retroBBS":
· MySQL based
· user Session Management (very basic!)
· post, edit and delete messages
· dump messages to file
· Perl 5
· Perl Digest and Curses::UI Perl modules
· Perl DBI and DBD::Mysql modules
· MySQL 4.x or higher
What's New in This Release:
· Minor code cleanup (the function get_sesssion_username() was removed from the script ).
· The length limitation of topic text in the messages list has been fixed.
· A bug regarding the INSERT statement of new messages has been fixed (now $uid is used correctly).
· The SQL script has been fixed (the column user_id in table bbs_messages is now of type bigint).
· Missing shortkeys have been added to shortkey descriptions.