django-test-autocomplete is a Django app that provides a helpful way to run specific tests within your project.
Expedites the invocation of tests to run by providing autocompletion inside test modules, listing its TestCases and also tests inside each TestCase.
This first release is a proof-of-concept, and in the "Future features" section there is a list of possible improvements considered for next releases.
How does it work
In order to make a non-intrusive installation, instead of coupling this autocompletion with the one provided by Django, we created a proxy command named "djntest" which work is to redirect every call to itself to "python manage.py test".
Later we defined our customized autocompletion for this new command. Autocompletion is defined with a lightweight layer of bash code that it's invoked each time the user triggers autocompletion (typically by hitting the < TAB > key). Based on the provided arguments, the bash layer decides to call the helper python script get_testcases.py which in turn reads the provided .py file, and parse it using the *ast* module.
How to use
Located at the root of your django project, typing:
djntest books_application/tests/test_book_creation.py:< TAB >
will list all classes defined in that file, in the standard bash way, ie:
* if there is only 1 option, it will be automatically completed
* if all the options at a given time have the same prefix, it's autocompleted
* if you start typing the name of some TestCase after the colon, hitting < TAB > again will filter the offer to only those matching with what you are writing
After a TestCase name, if you a point and trigger autocompletion like this
djntest books_application/tests/test_book_creation.py:TestStore.< TAB >
you will see listed all functions defined inside that class which name starts with "test_", and again, with all the usual bash autocompletion features.
* this autocompleter only facilitates the way of invoking the command for your running tests. Nothing related with PYTHONPATH is done here.
In order to install this package you need to follow 2 steps:
1. First install the script
sudo pip install django-test-autocomplete
Alternatively, you can install it from the source distribution:
Extract the tarball and run
python setup.py install
2. For enabling the bash autocompletion you need to look for the script djntest.sh located in the source distribution, and later:
* inside your $HOME/.bashrc adding a line like this:
* copy the file into your bash configuration folder like this:
copy path/to/djntest.sh /etc/bash_completion.d/
And later restart your bash session. Alternatively, you can find the djntest.sh file here: https://raw.github.com/machinalis/django-test-autocompletion/master/djntest.sh
For running the internal package tests (if you want to experiment customizing or extending this package) you will have to install mock package first.