django-common-helpers is a Django app that consists of the following things:
- A middleware that makes sure your web-app runs either on or without 'www' in the domain.
- A SessionManagerBase base class, that helps in keeping your session related code object-oriented and clean! See session.py for usage details.
- An EmailBackend for authenticating users based on their email, apart from username.
- Some custom db fields that you can use in your models including a UniqueHashField and RandomHashField.
- Bunch of helpful functions in helper.py
- A render_form_field template tag that makes rendering form fields easy and DRY.
- A couple of dry response classes: JsonResponse and XMLResponse in the django_common.http that can be used in views that give json/xml responses.
- Install django_common (ideally in your virtualenv!) using pip or simply getting a copy of the code and putting it in a directory in your codebase.
- Add django_common to your Django settings INSTALLED_APPS:
INSTALLED_APPS = [
- Add the following to your settings.py with appropriate values:
- Add common_settings to your Django settings TEMPLATE_CONTEXT_PROCESSORS:
TEMPLATE_CONTEXT_PROCESSORS = [
- Add EmailBackend to the Django settings AUTHENTICATION_BACKENDS:
AUTHENTICATION_BACKENDS = (
- Add WWWRedirectMiddleware if required to the list of middlewares:
MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES = [
This open-source app is brought to you by Tivix, Inc. ( http://tivix.com/ )
- Added support for Django 1.5
- Added fixes in nested inlines
- Added support for a multi-select checkbox field template and radio button in render_form_field
- Added Test Email Backend for overwrite TO, CC and BCC fields in all outgoing emails
- Added Custom File Email Backend to save emails as file with custom extension
- Rewrote fragments to be Bootstrap-compatible