aria2fe is a graphical user interface (GUI) for the command line (CLI) based program aria2.
Essentially, the purpose of aria2fe is to construct the aria2 command line syntax and arguments from a point and click environment and to launch aria2 via xterm. Download progress monitoring is done through xterm acting as a console for aria2fe. In fact, once aria2 has been started, aria2fe can be closed which will free up the system resources (physical memory) allocated to it. xterm will continue its role as console until the download is complete.
Depending upon the type of download being done the command line for aria2 can become quite long and complex. Given that, the chance for errors (typos and incorrect arguments) increases dramatically. aria2fe diminishes the chance for errors by delivering a syntactically correct command line each and every time. Furthermore, the ability to "visualize" the command line being constructed aids the user in argument selection. Additionally, command line configurations can be saved to a "conf" file and reloaded for future use. There is no limit to the number of conf files a user may have at any one given time and a browse dialog expedites the finding and loading process for saved configurations.
aria2 is a high-speed download utility with resuming and segmented downloading. Supported protocols are HTTP/HTTPS/FTP and BitTorrent. It also supports Metalink version 3.0. As of 0.10.0 aria2 supports chunk checksums in Metalink. It validates chunk checksums while downloading files like BitTorrents. This provides a safer and more reliable download experience. It is being actively developed by Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa.
Here are some key features of "aria2fe":
· Standalone executable (does not require local machine Qt/Qt libs install).
· Desktop environment independent.
· WYSIWYG editing.
· Intermediate dialogs for download type argument specification.
· Concurrent downloads.
· Unlimited configuration files.
· Argument preview before launch.
· Goback for error correction or forgotten arguments.
· Exit after aria2 launch (minimize system resource allocation).
· Detailed progress monitoring via xterm.
· Pop-up context menu for editing actions.
· Immediate access to aria2 Help.
· SaveAs action for cloning configuration files.
· Point and click operation for most common arguments
· Default aria2 work log.
· Small footprint.
· This program installed in your path.
· aria2 binary installed in your path.
· xterm binary installed in your path.
· If aria2fe fails to launch, check your permissions and lib dependencies.
What's New in This Release:
· This release includes several major enhancements along with the completion of the 4 dialogs for download type specific arguments. aria2fe remains statically linked against the Qt libs and is compatible with the most recent release of aria2 (0.12.0). Refer to the project documentation for a complete summary of changes and improvements.