WebCal is a browser-based calendar program to help you keep track of your appointments, meetings, birthdays, etc. And it's free!
WebCal is a free browser-based calendar program to help you keep track of your appointments, meetings, birthdays, etc.
It's simple, yet has powerful scheduling features, email reminders, and a user-friendly interface, and being Web-based makes it ideal for use by groups of people.
It uses perl based cgi scripts to generate all the web pages.
It gives you the choice of using a flat file database system with file locking to store the data, , or MySQL or PostgreSQL databases for calendar data.
Here are some key features of "WebCal":
· Multiple calendars.
· Password protection.
· Private calendars are read/write only with password.
· Public calendars are readable by everyone, writable only with password.
· Open calendars are read/write for everyone.
· File locking ensures data integrity for a flat file back end.
· Option to use relational database back end for calendar data.
· Flexible scheduling allows for easily adding repetitive tasks with only one entry.
· Multiple languages supported.
· Multiple views: Year, Month, Week, or Day.
· Ability to subscribe to other WebCal calendars, and have their contents show
· up in your calendar.
· Administrative control of calendars.
· Runs under mod_perl.
· Email Reminders on Items.
· Can synch with Palm Pilot.
· A webserver.
· Root access to install WebCal and configure your webserver to use it.
· perl, and the CGI.pm perl module.
- If you have an old version of WebCal installed, you can just install new versions right over the top of them. Database files will be preserved, but the scripts will be replaced with the new version.
1) Become superuser: su root
2) unzip and untar the file:
tar xvfz webcal_x.x.tar.gz
gzcat webcal_x.x.tar.gz | tar xvf -
3) Run the install script: cd webcal_x.x; ./install.sh
4) Answer the questions asked by the install script.
5) If you have database files from a 3.0 or 3.01 install, convert them to the proper format using the db_convert.pl script. If you have a database from a version before 3.0, you will have to upgrade to 3.0, then to 3.03.
What's New in This Release:
· Fixed an error with the input_check return value in webcal_shared.pm.
· Small fix to pg_setup.txt (Thanks to Tom Haddon).
· Added Hungarian language support (Thanks to Nagy Gergely).
· Added an updated Dutch language file (Thanks to Frank van de Wiel);
· Fixed a command injection vulnerability when updating preferences;