wwwoffled application is a simple proxy server with special features for use with dial-up internet links.
This means that it is possible to browse web pages and read them without having to remain connected.
Here are some key features of "WWWOFFLE":
· Caching of HTTP, FTP and finger protocols.
· Allows the 'GET', 'HEAD', 'POST' and 'PUT' HTTP methods.
· Interactive or command line control of online/offline/autodial status.
· Highly configurable.
· Low maintenance, start/stop and online/offline status can be automated.
· Caching of pages that are viewed for later review.
· Conditional fetching to only get pages that have changed.
· Based on expiration date, time since last fetched or once per session.
· Non cached support for SSL (Secure Socket Layer e.g. https).
· Can be used with one or more external proxies based on web page.
· Control which pages cannot be accessed.
· Allow replacement of blocked pages.
· Control which pages are not to be stored in the cache.
· Requests compressed pages from web servers (compile time option).
· Requests chunked transfer encoding from web servers.
· Can be configured to use dial-on-demand for pages that are not cached.
· Selection of pages to download next time online
· Using normal browser to follow links.
· Command line interface to select pages for downloading.
· Control which pages can be requested when offline.
· Provides non-cached access to intranet servers.
· Downloading of specified pages non-interactively.
· Options to automatically fetch objects in requested pages
· Understands various types of pages
· HTML 4.0, Java classes, VRML (partial), XML (partial).
· Options to fetch different classes of objects
· Images, Stylesheets, Frames, Scripts, Java or other objects.
· Option to not fetch webbug images (images of 1 pixel square).
· Automatically follows links for pages that have been moved.
· Can monitor pages at regular intervals to fetch those that have changed.
· Recursive fetching
· To specified depth.
· On any host or limited to same server or same directory.
· Chosen from command line or from browser.
· Control over which links can be fetched recursively.
· Optional information footer on HTML pages showing date cached and options.
· Options to modify HTML pages
· Remove scripts.
· Remove Java applets.
· Remove stylesheets.
· Remove shockwave flash animations.
· Indicate cached and uncached links.
· Remove the blink tag.
· Remove refresh tags.
· Remove links to pages that are in the DontGet list.
· Remove inline frames (iframes) that are in the DontGet list.
· Replace images that are in the DontGet list.
· Replace webbug images (images of 1 pixel square).
· Demoronise HTML character sets.
· Stop animated GIFs.
· Remove Cookies in meta tags.
· Provides information about cached pages
· Headers, raw and modified.
· Contents, images, links etc.
· Source code unmodified by WWWOFFLE.
· Automatic proxy configuration for Netscape.
· Searchable cache with the addition of the ht://Dig, mnoGoSearch (UdmSearch) or Namazu programs.
· Built in simple web-server for local pages.
· Allows CGI scripts
· Timeouts to stop proxy lockups
· DNS name lookups.
· Remote server connection.
· Data transfer.
· Continue or stop downloads interrupted by client.
· Based on file size of fraction downloaded.
· Purging of pages from cache
· Based on URL matching.
· To keep the cache size below a specified limit.
· To keep the free disk space above a specified limit.
· Interactive or command line control.
· Compression of cached pages based on age.
· Provides compressed pages to web browser (compile time option).
· Use chunked transfer-encoding to web browser.
· Multiple indexes of pages stored in cache
· Servers for each protocol (http, ftp ...).
· Pages on each server.
· Pages waiting to be fetched.
· Pages requested last time offline.
· Pages fetched last time online.
· Pages monitored on a regular basis.
· Configurable indexes
· Sorted by name, date, server domain name, type of file.
· Options to delete, refresh or monitor pages.
· Selection of complete list of pages or hide un-interesting pages.
· Works with pages that require basic username/password authentication.
· Automates proxy authentication for external proxies that require it.
· Control over access to the proxy
· Defaults to local host access only.
· Host access configured by hostname or IP address.
· Optional proxy authentication for user level access control.
· Optional password control for proxy management functions.
· Can censor incoming and outgoing HTTP headers to maintain user privacy.
· All options controlled using a configuration file.
· Interactive web page to allow editing of the configuration file.
· User customisable error and information pages.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Some small fixes for: HTTPS offline requests, handling certificate expiration, Web bug detection, and the configure script.