The Ubuntuzilla software is a python script that allows the user to install the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla SeaMonkey, and Mozilla Thunderbird on Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntuzilla has a support forum on the Ubuntu Forums in the 3rd party projects area, which you are encouraged to use if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.
You are encouraged to look through the source code to ascertain the safety of this script prior to running it. As a matter of general principle, it is a good practice to perform some verification prior to running anything from any unfamiliar website.
Here are some key features of "Ubuntuzilla":
· Automatically detects and downloads the newest Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey release from the Mozilla servers
· Allows you to make a choice of language for Firefox or Thunderbird
· Verifies the GPG signature (assures package integrity against malicious tampering or corrupt download) for Firefox or Thunderbird
· Verifies the MD5 sum for SeaMonkey
· Makes a date-stamped back-up of your Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey profile data
· Automatically integrates Firefox plugins that you have installed from the Ubuntu repositories
· Installs the new Firefox in /opt/firefox, Thunderbird in /opt/thunderbird, SeaMonkey in /opt/seamonkey
· Creates a SeaMonkey menu item in ''Applications -> Internet'' menu
· Checks all steps for successful execution
· Has a 'remove' action to remove the official Mozilla build and restore system to pre-installation state.
· Installs an update checker job that periodically performs automatic checks for new versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, or Seamonkey.
· Automatically checks for the latest Ubuntuzilla release and updates itself, to keep up with possible changes in the Mozilla website and release servers.
· Comes conveniently packaged in a .deb for easy installation
· Includes a very helpful man page, for those who don't like to read websites.
· The Ubuntuzilla script is deprecated. The Ubuntuzilla project now offers an apt repository with the repacks of the official mozilla builds of Firefox, Thunderbird, and SeaMonkey. It is not recommended to use the script, and hasn't been for a long time now.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Make the latest version getter more generic (mozilla changed its release download link structure slightly, and broke the old one).