Retriever Download Manager program was written completely in the Java programming language and will run on any operating system with a Java Virtual Machine installed (JVM 1.4 or higher).
Retriever allows you to download files from the internet easier and with more control than from your web browser, with it you can resume interrupted downloads at any time that's convenient or even schedule downloads to occur when you're away from your computer. Even if one server is too busy to accomodate you Retriever will automatically switch to another to continue your download.
You can even temporarily pause your download and resume it instantly a few minutes later.
No matter how many times your download is interrupted or stopped Retriever gives you a successful download.
Retriever is highly reliable and customizable.
Downloads can be input manually into the program or captured from the clipboard.
You can also drag and drop links onto the download list to capture them. If a selection of text is dropped, it will be parsed for links, you can use this behaviour to add multiple files at once.
Here are some key features of "Retriever Download Manager":
- Resumable FTP and HTTP downloads.
- Support for BitTorrent transfers (starting with version 0.905).
- FTP and HTTP server authentication.
- Supports HTTP, FTP and SOCKS proxies with authentication.
- Ability to add file download mirrors.
- Scheduled downloading.
- Pausable downloading.
- Execute external application on download start and/or completion.
- User customizable icons. See the file "Icon-Set.txt"in the icons/default.zip archive for details.
- Fixed a regression introduced in the previous version that prevented metalink downloads from working.
- Fixed a bug in determining metalink file names.
- Fixed a regression that aborted the download after one failure.