PHP Big Brother Hosts Configurator (phpBBHC) is a collection of PHP scripts and one C program to configure hosts
for the Big Brother network monitoring software. It doesn't cover all the possible settings for Big Brother's hosts file but it should be enough for
Ammendment: Big Brother has been pretty much replaced by Hobbit. I haven't got around to using Hobbit yet but I've heard it's pretty backwards compatible with Big Brother's configuration and scripts. I've heard of successful stories
of phpBBHC being used to configure Hobbit.
· phpBBHC doesn't need much to run. Obviously you need a web server running PHP. I developed phpBBHC on Free BSD and have also tried it on Linux. You shouldn't have any trouble on any other Unix variants. If your system doesn't use the standard Unix 'n' newline character then you might get some funny configuration files. Other programs used include the common programs; wc, awk, dirname. It is assumed these are in the $PATH environment variable that the web server uses. It goes without saying you need Big Brother installed. Big Brother can be found at http://bb4.com.
What's New in This Release:
· Fixed the bug which prevented you from adding multiple hosts at once without saving the changes each time
· Fixed the bug which prevented you from deleting multiple hosts at once without saving the changes each time
· Fixed the bug which prevented you from including file names in the URL (previously you could only enter http://www.hostname.org/ but now you can enter something such as http://www.hostname.org/test.php). The benefit of this is that you can create a PHP script or something to test the connection to a database seeing as Big Brother doesn't include support to check database connections (see the README for more info on this little hack with an example script).
· Added a button to check/uncheck all the checkboxes for deleting hosts