Netscape Navigator offers improved pop-up blocking and enhanced security. Netscape Navigator 9 is available as a standalone installation for Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.
The automatic update feature in your current Netscape browser will not upgrade to 9.0. Please download the new version now for the newest updates.
Here are some key features of "Netscape":
· Share and vote for webpages that you find interesting.
· Add friends and get their favorite stories in your sidebar.
News in the Browser
· Follow the latest news directly from your browser.
· Customize your News menu to only show your favorite sections.
· Let Navigator fix common typing mistakes in URLs.
· No more .cmo, .ogr, or htp:// !
· Save interesting links for later without cluttering your bookmarks.
· Linux kernel 2.2.14 or later
· glibc 2.3.2 or later
· XFree86-3.3.6 or later
· gtk+2.0 or later
· libstdc++5 or later
To install Navigator on Linux, extract the archive you downloaded and run ./netscape/navigator from a terminal. (This will execute the browser; there are no formal installation instructions available for Linux.)
What's New in This Release:
· Users of the Netscape Navigator 9 browser will see the following major upgrade notice available today, released as Netscape 18.104.22.168. When the Netscape 22.214.171.124 upgrade is accepted and run, the following notice will appear, denoting the end of support date (March 1) and the recommendations of Flock and Firefox:
"Official End of Support"
The "Remind me later", followed by clicking the "Stay with Netscape" button, can be used in case one wants to keep Netscape 9 after the end of support date. For those who are keeping Netscape, the Navigator 126.96.36.199 release contains the security patches contained in Firefox 188.8.131.52.
If one of the Download links are clicked, a progress will begin that downloads and installs the new browser, and migrates preferences/settings from Navigator.
People who decide against this upgrade can still find easy download links for Flock and Firefox on netscape.com. Just look for the following "Recommended Alternative Browsers" section on the right hand side.
For those who choose Flock, not only will you get a seamless upgrade of your preferences from Navigator 9, but you'll have the option to choose a theme that (to us) looks a lot like the Navigator theme. Very cool.