Mobile Web Proxy is a (CGI) tool to make more Web pages available from some mobile devices (cell phone Web browsers, etc.).
When I began using my cell phone's mobile web browser, one of the things I realized was that there were a lot of web pages that my cell phone's web browser simply wouldn't let me see. My shiny new Motorola Razr from T-Mobile, for many pages, would display an error message like "413: Page cannot be displayed." It happened annoyingly often; browsing the web from my cell phone was a lot like trying to read a book or a magazine with large chunks simply ripped out. And when I tried troubleshooting, I might have missed something, but it seemed like a big problem without an easily available solution.
So I tried to provide my own solution. I made a proxy that would present webpages for the mobile web so that they would display in a way that would work for my cell phone's web browser. Technologies include paging, tag cleaning, and optional caching to improve performance, but without getting into technical details, this means that I can access some pages on the web that I couldn't access earlier.
What's New in This Release:
· New features were added, notably configuration options at the top of the source script meant to make it easy for (some) Web site owners to use the Mobile Web Proxy to serve up a quick and easy mobile-friendly version of their Web sites.
· A link to provide a choice of several social bookmarking services was added to the footer, and the footer (at the bottom of pages) was cleaned up slightly.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· A bug was fixed that broke links.
· All users of 1.1 are encouraged to upgrade, particularly those interested in a quick and dirty way to serve up a mobile-friendly variant on a Web site. (See jonathanscorner.mobi as a quick Mobile Web Proxy variant of jonathanscorner.com.)
· Additionally, the software is released under the MIT license as well as the existing Perl license.