MiMMS project is designed to allow you to download streams using the MMS protocol and save them to your computer, as opposed to watching them live. Similar functionality is available in full media player suites such as Xine and MPlayer, but MiMMS is quick and easy to use, and for the time being, remains a useful program.
Originally, MiMMS was forked directly from the last known version of mmsclient, which was for years unmaintained. MiMMS started with the following goals:
· Keep a working copy of "mmsclient" (now "MiMMS") maintained and working.
· Fix lots of the bugs that were in mmsclient
· Eventually extend the functionality of the program
With the current 2.x series, MiMMS shares no code with mmsclient, and actually does all of it's MMS operations using libmms, a new library based off of the xine-improved mmsclient code, which is designed to allow multiple implementations of MMS clients without requiring a fragmented code base. At this point, MiMMS is freed from the details of the horrendous MMS protocol, and can focus on usability.
· wget (optional - necessary if you want to use http:// URLs to get e.g. ASX files)
What's New in This Release:
· A filename argument is now used correctly.
· It was ignored because of a bug.