Fastdeploy is a Web-based system that works with various operating systems' automated installer scripting and/or semantics (e.g., Kickstart, Preseeding, Windows Unattended, etc.) to completely automate the process of installing operating systems and related server software.
The project is designed to work using PXE network booting rather than CD/DVD based solutions so you can fully automate your infrastructure without needlessly burning CDs.
How does it work?
FastDeploy focuses most of its efforts at supporting the automation capabilities inherent with the installer mechanisms available with each operating system. This means we support Kickstart, Preseeding, and the unattended features of Windows. It's highly probable just about any other automated scripting can be supported.
Using a Web-based interface you can choose the options you want to automatically install (e.g., hostname, domain, IP address, server software to install/configure, etc.) then you PXE boot off your network card and the installation process occurs automatically, without user intervention.
· Generally you need a UNIX-like operating system (Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, etc.) however it's highly probable Windows can support FastDeploy.
· A Web server that supports PHP4 of 5 (Apache is often a good candidate here).
· A configurable DHCP server like ISC DHCP or Windows DHCP server.
· A database server like MySQL.
What's New in This Release:
· This initial beta release supports automation of RPM-based distributions (CentOS, RHEL, Fedora) and mostly works for Debian and Debian-based distributions.