An open source development framework and application platform
Our Vision: A platform which enables open-source community-built business applications which can span the gap of widely varied data storage, adapt to changing technologies, make possible local customization and centralized updates, and multiply the effectiveness of both programmers and non-programmers alike.
- Rich web-based application deployment using DHTML/AJAX technology (since late 1998!).
- Data abstraction - your data can be stored in databases, CSV files, emails, files, XML, and more. And you can use SQL to bring it all together.
- Application abstraction your application is distinct from the deployment method (such as HTTP/DHTML), so other deployment / presentation methods can later be added.
- Applications as Data - applications are written declaratively, as structured information, and can be stored in any of several forms.
- A Fractal perspective on data detail - information can be accessed in a simple manner regardless of its depth of linking and embedding. For example, you can (ideally!) run a SQL query on the rows in a CSV file, attached to a MIME email, stored on a POP3 server, pointed to by a file on the local filesystem. Or, run a SQL query against items in an RDF XML file stored on a remote web server, linked to by a file in the local filesystem. All without procedural code!