Catacomb is a WebDAV repository module for use with the Apache WebDAV module, mod_dav. Apache mod_dav parses WebDAV and DeltaV protocol requests into operations on a repository providing persistent storage of resources and their properties. The default repository for mod_dav is provided by a separate module, mod_dav_fs, which stores resource bodies as files in the filesystem, and stores properties in a (G)DBM database.
Catacomb-WebDAV provides a replacement for mod_dav_fs called mod_dav_repos that stores resources and their properties in a relational database (MySQL). The primary advantage of this approach is the searching capabilities of the database are used to implement the DASL protocol. Additionally, the database allows straightforward implementation of the versioning capabilities of the DeltaV protocol.
By shifting to relational database technology, Catacomb is a platform that contains important aspects of typical document management systems: the ability to store large numbers of documents, and search over their metadata. Furthermore, it is possible (via source code modification) to change the set of predefined properties stored in the main schema of the relational database. Properties in the main schema are faster to search.
This project is the first open source implementation of the DASL and DeltaV(linear versioning) protocols. We plan on tracking the evolution of this protocol.
Here are some key features of "Catacomb WebDAV":
· Class 1, 2 features from RFC 2518
· Storage of arbitrary client-defined dead properties
· Support for live properties defined in RFC 2518
· DASL protocol - (as defined by draft-reschke-webdav-search-00) for searching over live and dead properties using the DAV:basicsearch grammar
· Subset of DeltaV protocol from RFC 3253 (linear versioning)
· Supports VERSION-CONTROL, CHECKIN, CHECKOUT, UNCHECKOUT, REPORT methods
What's New in This Release:
· This version is the first version which supports database abstraction using mod_dbd from Apache 2.2.X.
· It could be seen as the first release candidate of version 1.0.
· From now on, no new features will be added, just performance and stability will be increased.