Apache Portable Runtime (APR) project mission is to create and maintain software libraries that provide a predictable and consistent interface to underlying platform-specific implementations.
The primary goal is to provide an API to which software developers may code and be assured of predictable if not identical behaviour regardless of the platform on which their software is built, relieving them of the need to code special-case conditions to work around or take advantage of platform-specific deficiencies or features.
Here are some key features of "Apache Portable Runtime":
· Atomic operations
· Dynamic Shared Object loading
· File I/O
· Locks (mutexes, condition variables, etc)
· Memory management (high performance allocators)
· Memory-mapped files
· Multicast Sockets
· Network I/O
· Shared memory
· Thread and Process management
· Various data structures (tables, hashes, priority queues, etc)
What's New in This Release:
· This release included fixes for specific platform configurations, feature detection, and run time behavior.
· Developers are encouraged to upgrade to this version.