The Nethernet is a free multiplayer online game for Mozilla Firefox, where you can play while surfing the web. Harvest datapoints from URLs. Leave bombs or treasure on websites. Make Missions to send other players across the internets. Will you promote order or chaos online?
With a game HUD toolbar in Firefox, players can bomb each other, wage war over web sites, and lead other users on web missions. Ordinary web sites host items and currency. The Nethernet is an MMO RPG into our WWW!
Clicking around the internet turns into experience points and currency. A battle between Order and Chaos rages online, between people tagging and people spamming; you'll have the weapons you need to wage information war in your browser.
You can play The Nethernet on Facebook or LiveJournal, World of Warcraft sites, Wikipedia, YouTube, Flickr, Boing Boing, Google, XKCD, Twitter, Amazon, MySpace, lolcats - wherever you like to hang out online. Other players will see your items across the entire web, and you can trick them or help them as you level up in playing the internet.
The Nethernet is the new name for PMOG, the Passively Multiplayer Online Game. We're in beta, we're constantly making improvements. So if something doesn't work, please give us feedback on our site, then check back to see how the games changed!
· Mozilla Firefox
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· We've repaired overlays so that they should no longer disappear and re-appear.
· DP will now be awarded based on your own activity rather than at the top of the hour. For every hour that you're active, you should earn hourly datapoints.
· The "stash" button on crates should now gray-out after you've clicked on it once.
· The "ally" and "rival" buttons should work again on overlays.
· We've also done more work on making the game run a bit faster.