Tabs Open Relative (Modified) is Firefox add-on created as a response to the change in tab opening behaviour in Firefox 3.5.
I prefer my tabs to follow these rules:
- All in-page links open in the same tab regardless of whether target=_blank etc is specified
- All in-page links open relative to (i.e. immediately right of) the current tab
- Opening a new tab or middle clicking the home button or a bookmark opens a new tab at the far right
- All external links (e.g. you click a link in an email) open in a new tab on the far right
This was possible until 3.5, when the browser.link.open_external preference was removed. There have been numerous bug reports but no fix so far:
There is also a forum thread: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1032625&start=15
This add-on is a modified version of Tabs Open Relative (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/1956), combined with dikrib's fix for browser.link.open_external.
Tabs open to the right of the current one, external links open according to browser.link.open_external.
In order to get the behaviour mentioned above, you need to set some values in about:config.
browser.link.open_newwindow = 1
browser.link.open_external = 3
extensions.tabsopenrelative.linksonly = true
If they do not exist, these values are now created by the add-on.
- No code changes, just updated install.rdf for compatibility with 3.6.*. Apparently 3.* is not a valid version number...