Print Edit is a Firefox extension that allows editing of the web page content while in Print Preview mode. Editing the web page prior to printing can compact the layout and remove unwanted content such as adverts, sidebars and blank pages. Print Edit mode is entered from Print Preview mode by clicking on the Edit button next to the Close button on the toolbar.
In Print Edit mode, any of the displayed content elements can be formatted, hidden or deleted, prior to printing in Print Preview mode. Click the Preview button to return to Print Preview mode or the Close button to return to normal browsing mode. It is possible to switch repeatedly between Print Edit mode and Print Preview mode.
There are eight edit commands:
• Deselect - deselects all currently selected elements.
• Format - formats the currently selected elements (may affect the position of other elements).
• Hide - hides the currently selected elements (will not affect the position of other elements).
• Delete - deletes the currently selected elements (will affect the position of other elements).
• Hide All Except - hides all elements except those currently selected.
• Delete All Except - deletes all elements except those currently selected.
• Undo - undoes the affect of the last edit command.
• Undo All - undoes the affect of all previous edit commands.
The Format command allows up to eight format properties to be applied. These format properties primarily affect the layout of the content and are intended to reduce the space that the content occupies on the printed page. The Drop-Down button next to the Format command button provides a quick way to change the properties to be applied.
The Hide command can use either of two techniques to hide elements. Using the normal technique, elements cannot be selected after being hidden. Using the alternative technique, elements can still be selected after being hidden, but may not always be fully hidden.
The Undo command normally reinstates the select boxes that were displayed prior to the 'undone' command, but this behaviour can be turned off.
The Format, Hide and Delete commands apply to the selected elements and all of their nested sub-elements. The Format command has no effect on elements or sub-elements that have already been formatted.
There are two mode commands:
• Preview - exits Print Edit mode and returns to Print Preview mode.
• Close - exits Print Edit mode and returns to normal browsing mode.
An element can be selected by moving the mouse, so that the highlight box (solid border) is positioned over the element, and then clicking the mouse. The highlight box then changes to a selection box (dashed border). Any number of elements can be selected, one after another.
A selected element can be deselected by moving the mouse, so that the highlight box (solid border) is positioned over the selected element, and then clicking the mouse. The selection box (dashed border) then disappears. Alternatively, all selected elements can be deselected by clicking the Deselect button.
The color and width of the borders of the highlight and select boxes can be changed.
The Options Dialog allows the user to:
• Set the color and width of the border of the highlight box.
• Set the color and width of the border of the select boxes.
• Choose the properties applied by the format command.
• Choose that elements can still be selected after Hide.
• Choose to reinstate the select boxes after Undo.
· Mozilla Firefox
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· New: Options to set state of Text Pieces and Web Style buttons on first entry into Print Edit mode.
· Chg: Improved layout of Print Edit Options dialog to reduce clutter and use less screen space.
· Chg: Updated language translations (but will need further update).
· Chg: Updated to be compatible with Firefox 21.*.
· Fix: Spurious menu item displayed in Firefox window top border with Firefox 21.0 on Mac OS X. Fixed.
· Fix: Text labels in Print Edit toolbar buttons were not correctly vertically aligned. Fixed.