Chinesepera-kun: Chinese Popup Dictionary is a Firefox extension that will allow you read Chinese on websites. This is useful for just getting around a site, or even MORE useful if you are studying Chinese. It works with both Simplified and Traditional characters, and also allows you to export words to a file to study later.
After installation, you can goto the "customize toolbar" menu and find the green book icon and put it on your firefox toolbar. When you are on a site with Chinese, simply click the green book icon and then put your mouse over Chinese words to view the reading and defintion.
In the extension options dialog you can set a place to save entries to, then when a the popup window with a definition is being displayed, if you press it will export the topmost entry to the file you designated.
In the options dialog you can also click "Show More Entries", which will search the dictionary file for more entries that are relevant. (This is disabled by default).
If you want to see information about a particular character, press while over that character and you will see additional information.
This extension is a modded version of from the plugin originally developed by www.rikai.com -> Rikai-chan -> Perapera-kun which were for Japanese. This extension uses dictionary files generously borrowed from www.adsotrans.com and the CEDICT project as well as the UNIHAN character file.
The export file will be encoded in GB2312 for Simplified and BIG5 for Traditional so be sure to use a program that can read the file correctly.
· Firefox: 1.0 – 2.0.0.*
What's New in This Release:
· More entries in the dictionary
· Faster Search (needed because of bigger dictionary)
· You can choose "Show More Results" in the options dialog to yield more results (often redundant, OFF by default).
· Press when over a character to display character information about it.(very much thanks to Imron Alston for compiling the info from the huge file)
· Now works with Simplified AND Traditional characters, and will detect automatically, so no longer need to choose anything in the options dialog.
· Fixed newline character not being outputted upon export
· Made the accidental exporting when trying to copy and hitting a little better, but still not perfect.