ArchView is a Firefox extension which can open an archive file online and get the catalog. Currently, it support ZIP and RAR formats.
The most peculiar feature of ArchView is that it can open an individal file without download the whole archive, since it only fetch the necessary portion.
So it's suitable for checking the content of archive before download. ArchView can support HTTP and FTP protocols. It can also handle local files via file: protocol.
What ArchView Is Not
ArchView doesn't intend to replace other archivers (eg. 7-Zip, WinZip or WinRAR). It lacks some features, can't add or delete files in archive. ArchView doesn't support compression, and has no plan to realize it. ArchView is a companion and supplementation of those tools, since they are designed for handle local files. Almost none of them can deal with archive files on Web or FTP server. And ArchView can work together with Firefox, that make open online archive file like normal web pages.
Here are some key features of "ArchView":
· Directly access archive files on Web or FTP server.
· List the catalog of archive file.
· Open or download an individual file.
· Support RAR and ZIP formats.
· Support HTTP, FTP and file: protocols.
· Can present HTML or XUL interface.
· Only fetch necessary data rather than the whole archive file.
· Work together with Firefox, easy to use.
· Platform independent, (theoretically) support all platforms that Firefox can run.
· Can't open SFX file.
· Not support multi-volumn archive.
· Not support RAR decoding, need third-party software.
· Can't open encrypted file in ZIP.
· Can't show RAR comment.
· Firefox 1.0 - 3.0
What's New in This Release:
· This release fixes a critical bug (unable to open archives on HTTP and FTP servers) on Linux.
· German and Dutch language support has been added.