ProBIND is a web application intended for use in the administration of one or more servers running ISC BIND.
The ProBIND software is written in the PHP scripting language and uses MySQL to store its data. The contents of the database are generated into files formatted for ISC BIND and are pushed to the controlled servers on request through the interface or by a scheduled job.
What ProBIND Is
ProBIND is meant to be a time-saving tool for busy adminsitrators, aiding in managing the configuration of DNS zones across multiple servers. It is intended for use by those already familiar with the components of a DNS zone file and who understand DNS concepts and methods.
This software acts as a configuration repository to help keep zones well-maintained and has several helping tools to ensure that common DNS issues are minimized.
What ProBIND Is Not
Although ProBIND uses MySQL to store zone data, it is not a replacment backend for ISC BIND. ProBIND merely creates the proper zone files for use with the default configuration method of BIND. If you are looking for a live SQL backend for ISC BIND, this is not one.
ProBIND is not a tool for those unfamiliar with DNS concepts. It assumes you know the differences between a CNAME and an A record. It also assumes you know about SOA records, what a lame server is, and what glue is.
ProBIND is not the ultimate solution to DNS management. It fits the needs of those who develop it, and it is hoped that others will also find it useful.
Here are some key features of "ProBIND":
· ProBIND allows for quick searching across domains, allowing for quick editing of important information.
· ProBIND has built-in templating to allow the use of certain standard information across all zones.
· Based on settings in ProBIND, NS records will be automatically created.
· ProBIND can automatically create reverse zones (in-addr.arpa) for all your A records.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Multiple bugs have been fixed, and some code has been cleaned up.