Open content management system for professional journalists & online newspapers
Designed by newsroom experts, Newscoop is a content management system (CMS) that powers professional newspapers and magazines worldwide.
The demands of modern journalism are met with intuitive flexible and interfaces publishing, multilinguality, geolocation tools, social media integration and powerful templates compatible with anything from HTML5 to mobile.
Here are some key features of "Newscoop":
- News Optimised:
- We understand your issues.
- Newscoop has been developed together with journalists and their knowledge of the needs of large-scale professional publishing. Structure your content in issues, sections and different article types. Handle large amounts of content, from breaking news to film reviews, effortlessly - regardless of the size and scale of your team. Put an end to the workarounds of blogging tools punching above their weight.
- Newscoop’s subscription management gives you control over what content your subscribers have access to, and when. Time-based subscriptions (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly) can be set up to grant your readers access to any area of the site you choose. For entire institutions such as libraries and universities you can painlessly manage subscriptions based on IP addresses.
- News where it happens.
- Geolocation is an asset. It allows for more detailed forms of content production and opens up new location-based revenue streams for news organisations. Readers with GPS-enabled mobile devices will find new and easier ways to discover your content. Newscoop allows you to map your stories.
- The intuitive interface allows journalists to attach one, or more, global locations to an article by simply selecing the map service they want to use and clicking on the location (or by just entering the GPS coordinates). Newscoop supports Google Maps, Mapquest Open and OpenStreetMap. Freedom of information is important to us: your data is located on your server, not with the map provider. Decide yourself what service you use and migrate your content in the future with ease.
- We speak your language.
- Sourcefabric have been thinking international since day one. Since 1999 we have been developing our software on the premise that every user should be able to interact with the software in her own language and alphabet. We even tricked other software that we relied on (like MySQL) to accept Unicode even before it knew what Unicode was.
- Everything within Newscoop, be it the administrative user interface or your stories, can be translated, meaning international journalists and audiences alike can benefit from the switch. We even built our own localizer software to make translating into whatever language you speak as easy as एक, दो, तीन!
- SEO Friendly:
- Get creative with SEO.
- Newscoop automatically provides search-friendly URLs that relate directly to your article title, keywords or topics - you decide. This gives you greater flexibility than other CMSes and allows you to take advantage of the extra traffic and revenue that search engines bring. Keywords and description metatags can be added to all content pages on the site to help search engines index and access your stories faster.
- From paywall to freemium.
- Newscoop allows you to control reader access to your publication through its built-in subscription features. If you want to have all your content freely accessible, that's of course possible, but perhaps you want non-paying customers to only access certain areas of the paper. Newscoop makes it easy to set up paywalls and freemium models, plus managing subscribers is a piece of cake with the advance account management. You can determine the duration of subscriptions, or even specify IP address ranges to allow institutions like universities and libraries to purchase access to your back issues.
- This version has been updated to include frontend search capabilities powered by Solr, an Open Source search platform used by Netflix, Instagram, SourceForge, NASA, WhiteHouse.gov, and Apple. Solr’s major features include powerful fulltext searches, hit highlighting, faceted searches, dynamic clustering, database integration, and rich document (e.g., Word, PDF) handling.