Nariva project is a search service using Apache Lucene, VFS, and XML-RPC.
Nariva is an application which aims to provide cross- platform, open API search functionality targeted at desktops. It uses Apache Lucene to perform the indexing and searching functionality and also exposes the Apache Lucene API as an XML-RPC service (provided using Apache XML- RPC).
Files on the local file system are monitored using a sandbox component called Commons Virtual Filesystem (VFS). Nariva ties all these projects together to provide a simple, fast, cross platform, desktop search solution.
Here are some key features of "Nariva":
· Runs cross platform - Written in Java.
· Provides a webservice interface using XML-RPC so it's easy to create custom GUI client.
· Low priority search service thread reduces noticable CPU usage.
· Can monitor more than one folder at a time.
· Extendable by using custom index classes set in preferences.
· Provides a default text extraction class for indexing unrecognized file types.
· Built in support for indexing and searching text, html, pdf and maf files.
· MAF Search GUI integrates into Firefox search engine list.
· By default only accepts connections from localhost (127.0.0.1).
· Search on specific fields or use full text search with boolean, fuzzy and proximity matches - Provided by Lucene.
· Re-indexes changed documents in monitored folders dynamically.