Initially, MediaGoblin will be a place to store all your photos that’s as awesome as, if not more awesome than, existing network services (Flickr, SmugMug, Picasa, etc).
MediaGoblin will be a place for all sorts of media, such as video, music, etc hosting.
Here are some key features of "MediaGoblin":
· Federated with OStatus!
· A place for people to collaborate and show off original and derived creations.
· Free, as in freedom.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· First of all, let's talk about document support. Coded by MediaGoblin contributor and user Alon Levy, this new media type is pretty awesome: it uses the hyper-awesome pdf.js to display documents in the browser.
· What kind of documents? Well, not just PDFs... if your server has LibreOffice installed it can convert most document types LibreOffice can read. (And yes, both the original document and the PDF will be available for download!) From ebooks to journal articles to conference presentations, MediaGoblin can show it all.
· We've got a new plugin system! Almost anything is possible now in our new system, and indeed, much of our summer projects will be relying on this new infrastructure.
· A nice new feature: we now have human readable timestamps! Instead of just saying the date and time, it tells you how long ago they were taken. However, it's easy enough to still see the date and time something was uploaded; just hover over it! Additionally, if a photo has metadata about when it was taken, that can be displayed in addition to the time it was uploaded. Pretty cool, yeah?
· There's a good number of other features worth mentioning briefly: you can configure whether or not you want to allow comments in your config now, and we have an experimental Piwigo compatible API plugin. (Very experimental, but some people have managed to get photo uploading with Shotwell!) And, as always, there are many, many under the hood improvements.