Glimpse is the powerful indexing and query system inside of Webglimpse. Glimpse project can also be used as a stand-alone program in a Unix environment.
Glimpse and glimpseindex are written in C for speed, while most of the management and interface parts of Webglimpse are written in Perl.
Here are some key features of "Glimpse":
· Fast Searching: Glimpse builds a keyword index in advance for very fast searching (though it can also access individual files for complex boolean queries).
· Uncommon words will be found rapidly even in a very large fileset, up to several Gigabytes.
· Common words (with 100's or 1000's of matches) will take longer, but if the number of hits returned can be limited, even those will be very fast.
· The core index and search programs are written in C.
· Glimpse uses a small index - typically less than 5% of the total data size - so it can usually be entirely loaded into memory.