Basilic provides a bibliography server for research laboratories.
It automates and facilitates the diffusion of research publications over the Internet, automatically generating Web pages from a publication database.
Each publication has an associated Web page, which provides downloads and additional documents (abstract, images, BibTeX).
Index pages are also created, including a search engine with several options for results display.
New publications can be added to the database in an instant.
Here are some key features of "Basilic":
· Main features
· Automated bibliography server: easy to use, automatic page generation.
· Each publications' web page automatically shows all of the associated documents.
· Index pages with a powerful search engine.
· Various result displays : researcher's publication list, image gallery, BibTeX...
· Separate back-office for edition of publications and database checking.
· Ease of use
· New publications can be added and edited easily using a simple web form.
· To publish associated documents (pdf files, images, abstract, ...), simply copy the files to the publication's directory.
· Thumbnails are generated automatically from images and movies.
· Up-to-date web server
· Publication lists and associated pages are always up to date.
· Dynamic content: changes are immediately published.
· Easy use encourages researchers to keep the server updated.
· Simplified administration
· Lightweight server administration: an e-mail is sent in case of problems.
· Delegated management: each researcher manages his or her own publications.
· Simple semi-automatic system installation
· Initial database can be created from BibTeX files.
· Clean organization
· Clean directory hierarchy: sorted by year, then by publication BibTeX key.
· Each publication's associated directory holds all of the associated documents.
· A separate back-office section for bibliography management.
· A unified look and feel for all publications.
· Bilingual (or more) web sites are handled.
· Conformity to standards
· XML export, compatible with PubliCNRS format. See export page (in french).
· Validity of BibTeX entries is enforced.
· Strict XHTML 1.0 and CSS 2.0 compliant pages are generated.
· Customizable look and feel using css style sheets.
· Distributed under the terms of the GNU-GPL licence and hence open source.
· Based on simple php scripts that can easily be modified and extended.
· Fully customizable installation paths to fit your web server organization.
· Possible extensions
· Adding new languages for multilingual web sites is easy.
· Managing multiple teams, adding a lab member database...
· Based on a mySQL database: new queries and tables are possible.
What's New in This Release:
· Minor typos fixed.