Star Corp is a space economic strategy multiplayer play-by-email game. Run a corporation in the frontiers of space. Operate starships, build colony facilities, harvest the rich resources of alien worlds, manufacture goods to keep the colonists happy.
The Star Corp software provides a hosted server with its administrative shell program to create / edit a game a rich environment of star systems, planets, asteroids, gas fields, colonies and starships. Colonies are inhabited by people with their own needs for goods and services provided by corporations through their facilities or on the colony market.
Turns are played through emails with players able to submit any number of orders between game updates to be processed immediately but have a limited amount of time to use.
As well as the server shell, Star Corp comes with a graphical client for viewing turn reports and preparing turn orders. The client provides a tree-based view of all a corporation's assets, mechanisms to search available items and markets, design starships and prepare orders and send them via email.
· Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
· Download the binary distribution.
· Unzip to a convenient directory
· Create a local mySQL database called starcorp. Currently the server assumes root / no password access to localhost running this database. This is configured using the Hibernate configuration file. Changing the database settings is beyond the scope of this document.
· Create a copy of sample.server.properties called server.properties in the root directory. Fill in the appropriate property values for smtp host etc.
· To launch the server shell use server.bat (for Windows) or java -cp -jar StarCorp-server-X.X.X.X.jar (where Xs are subtituted for the built version).