OpenMOO2 is an attempt to remake one of the most popular turn-based strategy games set in space. The main goal is to mimic the original game as close as possible including original game graphic Based on Python and Pygame it runs on all major platforms: Windows, Linux and Mac OS X ~ Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares (MOO2) is a 4X turn-based strategy game set in space, designed by Steve Barcia and Ken Burd, and developed by Simtex, who developed its predecessor Master of Orion.
The PC version of the game was published by Microprose in 1996, while the Apple Macintosh version was published a year later by MacSoft in partnership with Microprose. The PC version is still on sale as a download, and is still played online. Master of Orion II won the Origins Award for Best Fantasy or Science Fiction Computer Game of 1996, and was well received, although reviewers differed about which aspects they liked and disliked. It is still used as a yardstick in reviews of more recent space-based 4X games. source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion_II.
- Some graphical polishing has been done along with a game engine improvements so the development itself should be smoother and more flexibe for possible code changes. The game still runs on all major operating systems: Linux, Windows and Mac, in the future, possibly Android OS will be supported too (depends on PyGame support for Android platform...)
- implemented original fonts reading and rendering
- default color mouse cursor from original game
- simple ships movement - ships are able to travel if alreading on route, and able reach the orbit, no launching yet
- marking unexplored star system as explored upon ship arrival
- simple colony buildings production - it is possible to produce buildings in colony with their effects on the economy production and population grow