Free 3D Bomberman game
Albeit it has been designed as a multiplayer game, it also offers a basic singleplayer mode for you to have a little bombing fun even when none of your friends is available.
It has been designed for LAN play. It may work over the internet too, but it hasn’t been optimized for this mode.
The game comes with 9 levels (more to come in the future). All levels are roughly based on other games. You’ll find a maze similar to Pac-Man’s, an Arkanoid inspired one, one that is based on a Call of Duty 4 level etc.
Robombs is written in JAVA, which means that will run on Linux (x86), Mac OS X , Solaris and Windows.
It uses the jPCT 3D engine, which itself uses LWJGL for OpenGL support.
Robombs uses 3D graphics, i.e. it requires at least basic support for 3D acceleration. Almost any graphics card that supports 3D acceleration will do, but the more powerful, the better. Be sure to use current drivers for your video card. When starting for the first time, Robombs tries to detect the hardware and adjusts its detail settings accordingly. This is quite rough, so it may not be the best choice in every case. If the game runs too slow on your machine or you want to tweak the settings to achieve better a visual quality, you can do so in the setup dialog that appears before the actual game comes up.
LAN and/or an internet connection is required for setting up a multiplayer game. The game is intended to be played in a LAN, internet hasn’t been tested very much yet. If it works for you, please let me know.
Robombs will run fine on single core CPUs, but it benefits from multi core CPUs especially when running a server with some bots.
The game has been tested on a variety of systems:
* Core2 Quad, 3Ghz, ATI HD 4870, Windows Vista: Runs great with everything to the max
* Core2 Duo, 3Ghz, ATI HD 2900XT, Windows XP: Runs great with everything to the max
* Athlon X2 5000+, ATI HD 3650, Windows XP: Runs great with 2x AA and shadows set to normal
* Athlon X2 4800+, Geforce 7800GS AGP, Windows XP: Runs great with 2x AA and shadows set to low
* Athlon X2 4400+, Geforce 7600GT AGP, Windows XP: Runs great with 2x AA and shadows set to low
* P4 HT 3Ghz, ATI X1950Pro AGP, Windows XP: Runs great with 2x AA and shadows set to normal
* Asus EEEPC 701, Intel onboard, Linux: Runs fine with AA and shadows disabled
* Celeron 1Ghz, Geforce 3 Ti 500, Linux: Runs fine with AA diabled and shadows to very low
* P4M 1.6Ghz, Geforce2 Go, Windows XP: Runs fine with AA and shadows disabled
* Mac Mini, Intel onboard, Mac OSX: Runs fine with AA disabled and shadow set to low
As you can see, it runs fine even on low end CPUs and graphics adapters. So if your are looking for a free and fun game for your next LAN party that will work fine even on peoples’ old notebooks, Robombs is for you!
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- Added basic team play. You can now join a team...but beware of friendly fire...
- Added options for higher details on bombs and particles, shader support and a sky box. These options are all off by default, enable them in the options dialog at start up.
- Updated the 3D engine and the OpenGL binding to the latest versions.
- Fixed some minor flaws and improved the gui slightly.