8 Kingdoms is a 3D turn-based (TBS) fantasy strategic game in which players become kings, build their empires and conquer enemy kingdoms.
Theme of the game 8 Kingdoms is inspirated by the world of fantasy. Players play on a fully 3D hex map. They construct buildings, recruit units including infantry, mounted units, mages, catapults and finally they attack enemy or help allies. Units gain experiences during the battle, each unit can get some abilities upgraded to be stronger. Data are stored in XML and freely accessible - from language versions to units' attributes, moreover map editor with random map generator is included for comfortable map editing.
Here are some key features of "8 Kingdoms":
· realistic projection of terrains and surfaces which influence upon movement
· realistic model of weather
· well-developed computation of fights, including counter-attacks, visibility and experiences, siege weapons and magical units
· model of money, taxes, payment to the army
· units earn experiences
· artificial intelligence
· single-player and multi-player games
· multi-player games discovery service
· released for Linux and MS Windows
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
Several bugs fixed:
· Namespaces in AI code
· Some memory was not released
· Messages for AI are sent directly to the server
· Announcing of local games is now depended on the announced checkbox in options
· Some error messages were not in english language
· Some phrases in english version corrected
· Bug with uninitialized event should not result in game crash
Minor changes in GUI:
· Colour of the pink player changed to purple
· Units move faster in each speed grade
· Script for Blender to export models in the required structure
· New texture for trees
Sounds & Music:
· New music and support for playlists
· in each phase of the game can be played more than one composition
· Multilingual support for voices
8K World Wide:
· 8K World Wide has moved to http://kralovstvi.sf.net/maps/
· Announced games now contain a description, which is used for informing about the missing players.
· Maps exchange system at http://kralovstvi.sf.net/maps/games.php
Improved speed of AI:
· Computing view of units (visibility) rewritten from TCL to C, which should speed up movement of units.
· Computing of the attack range of units rewritten from TCL to C, which should speed up AI thinking. It still contains some extra code to check, that the transformation was correct.
· Memory management optimatization to speed up AI
· With all the optimatization, AI now computes at lease 6x faster on big maps
· Users are allowed to decide whether they want to save the game at end of their turn
· new item "autosave" in the options menu (saving big maps can take a while). Autosave which used to be on the server side is still disabled and will be used later when the client and server can be completely detached.
· Disconnected players can reconnect if they use the same profile (experimental, the player will have to wait for end of turn). If announcement is enabled, the server will inform that there are free roles in the game.
· Translated to French language