Rigs of Rods 0.36.3
Rigs of Rods is a truck simulator based on soft body physics.
Rigs of Rods is a simulation game based on a custom advanced soft body physics engine.
In a vast open world, you can drive trucks, control cranes and fly airplanes. The chassis and wheels deform according to the stress they bear, and crashes are interesting to see too!
The linux version is still a release candidate under compatibility testing.
The main issue is that it is compiled with a GCC 4.1.1 compiler, and there are many incompatible C++ ABI out there. So it will probably work on a gcc 4.1.1 system, and break on a gcc 3.4 or 3.6 system. I don't know if there is an easy fix to that. Be aware that upgrading your gcc may break badly your system if not done correctly, so do it at your own risk.
Also, if you see the config box, but the game crashes, check the sanity of your GLX system first (test with another GLX program) because it breaks easily. It works with NVidia drivers, but I have not tested the ATI ones.
Read the README.LINUX file for more important information.
What's New in This Release:
· New turbojet physics: Includes a Mig-25 made by Adeodat. And optional heat haze effect and airbrakes physics.
· Added large terrains: you can make terrains as big as 327 km x 327 km. A 100 km x 100 km terrain is included, which is 1:1 scale of the Grenoble region (France).
· Added a new physics operator that allows to rigidify beams where trussing is difficult or impossible. Useful for landing gears and other complex and delicate structures.
· Improved cameras: better chasing camera, better fixed camera for airplanes, better inside camera.
· New mesh wheels: the ultimate wheels graphics quality is now possible. A Dodge Charger beta version by Bonehead demonstrates its use. More to come later in this department...
· Added night maps (beta), to be used in Caelum mode, and changing the time to night time.
· Added a monorail by Thomas, a Formula One by Akoss, ¼ber cool foaming Panther firefighting vehicles by Lenni, a textured character by kevinmce with more to come, oh my!
· Optimised maps and vehicles loading cache: this will reduce loading time to almost nothing. Note that the first time you will start RoR after installing it, it will build the cache, and this will take some time.
· Optimised texture compression: massive switch to the DXT compressed textures. This saves tons of video memory, and now RoR runs easily on a video card with 128 MB of VRAM. Modders are encouraged to use this format too for their releases. See the wiki.
· Various bugfixes...
Rigs of Rods
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- new installation method: online installer that also acts as an update service. Benefit: no need to download big releases any more. Just download the differences required to update.
- new network code: character support and load support for multiplayer!
- configurable differentials
- new ground models, new ground behaviour. More configurable and supporting basic fluid dynamics. Also supports custom ground types.