Add it to your Download Basket!
Add it to your Watch List!
What's new in Ren'Py 6.18.3:
- This release adds the showif statement to screen language. The showif statement shows and hides its children based on a condition. When its children are ATL transforms, showif delivers ATL events to manage the show and hide process.
- Ren'Py's image prediction mechanism now models the return stack, and can predict images through a call and return pair. Previously, a call followed by a return would block image prediction.
- Ren'Py now predicts that the start label will be called from the main menu. This will help to avoid unpredicted image loads at the very start of a game.
- The ATL on statement now can take a comma-separated list of event names.
- LICENSE TYPE:
- LGPL (GNU Lesser General Public License)
- OUR RATING:
- DEVELOPED BY:
- USER RATING:
- ROOT \ Games \ Simulation
The software is distributed as a SDK (Software Development Kit) and it’s comprised of easy-to-use and efficient script languages, which make it possible for non-programmers to create visual novels without too much hassle.
Features at a glance
Key features include a game menu, automatic saving of games, window and fullscreen gameplay modes, rollback functionality, predictive image loading, the ability to independently change sound effects, voice and music volume, as well as the ability to skip text, auto-advance text, or hide text.
In addition, it includes a tutorials that will be presented to users from the get-go. All you have to do to get started and learn how to use the application to built visual novels is to click the “Launch Project” button. A visual novel will immediately open in a new window, but you will still be able to edit its configuration files with a text editor that will be recommended to you when trying to edit the respective files.
Requires no installation
Ren'Py requires no installation, just download the latest release from Softpedia or from the official website of the project (see the homepage link at the end of the article), save the archive on your Home directory, unpack it, open a Terminal app, navigate to the location where you’ve extracted the archive file (e.g. cd /home/softpedia/renpy-6.18.3-sdk) and run the ‘sh renpy.sh’ command.
Works with GNU/Linux, Mac OS X and Windows OSes
Ren'Py is a cross-platform software, which means that it’s officially supported under all GNU/Linux distributions, as well as on the Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X operating systems. On Linux and Mac it is compatible with both 32 and 64-bit computer platforms, but on Windows it is supported only on x86 machines.
Ren'Py was reviewed by Marius Nestor, last updated on January 16th, 2015