NetPanzer project is an online multiplayer tactical warfare game designed for FAST ACTION combat. Gameplay concentrates on the core -- no resource management is needed.
The game is based on quick tactical action and unit management in real-time. Battles progress quickly and constantly as destroyed players respawn with a set of new units. Players can join or leave multiplayer games at any time.
Official netPanzer development got basically halted in 1999, since 2002 netPanzer is available under the GNU GPL and thus Free Software and a GNU/Linux port of netPanzer is ready.
Here are some key features of "netPanzer":
· netPanzer is a game designed to fit into the real-time tactical game genre. It's art is based on realistic environments and vehicles. Battle will heat up as players challenge for territory, and without the need for resource management battles will emerge swiftly.
· Features a scalable client/server network architecture.
· Support from 1 to 100 players over the Internet or on LAN systems depending on the network connection type and game configuration (single/multi dedicated server vs. server-player, max number of units per player and so forth).
· Players will be able to join or leave multiplayer games at any time.
· Real-time action without the need to gather resources.
· Manually aim your units fire while they are moving to another location.
· Maps range in size from 10x13 to 64x85 640x480 size screens.
· Three modes of multiplayer combat; objective capture, frag limit, and time limit.
· Change screen resolutions on the fly to 640x480, 800x600 or 1024x768
· A customizable interface layout.
· MiniMap for quick viewing of the world.
· Particle system explosions, muzzle shots, missile trails, etc.
· Dynamic, real-time lighting.
· Translucent particles and shadows.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· added screenshot function (press F9).
· added any resolution support (>= 640x480) and resizable window.
· added sound configuration (volume, enable/disable).
· added some new maps done by community.
· new unit selection modes, double and triple click.
· player flags appears in chat messages.
· player name appear over tanks (configurable, press "n").
· new ally system (check "TAB").
· many bugs fixed