MegaGlest is an open source 3D real-time strategy (RTS) game, where you control the armies of one of seven different factions: Tech, Magic, Egyptians,Indians, Norsemen, Persian or Romans (Beta). The game is setup in one of 14 naturally looking settings, which -like the unit models- are crafted with great appreciation for detail.
A game of MegaGlest takes place on a map of varying size, such as large plains and fields, with terrain features like rivers, mountains, seas, or cliffs. Players must establish settlements to gain resources, defend against other players, and train units to explore the map and attack enemies. Different resources have to be gathered by every faction. This can be energy, food, gold, housing, stone and wood. Choose a faction and create its different units and buildings while developing your factions' unique abilities over the course of the game. But beware: strategy matters, so chose wisely when deciding which units to use when and where if you want a chance to beat the enemy.
While the game is officially supported on Linux and Windows, community contributed builds exist for Mac OS X and FreeBSD. Up to eight players fight in multi-player games (over Internet or LAN) across all supported platforms and against the various difficulty levels of AI players.
MegaGlest is heavily based on the widely known Glest, which it forked from in early 2010. Like its predecessor, MegaGlest is available under liberal licensing terms and can be downloaded free of charge.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Bugfix for vertex buffer object (VBO) code which previously caused crashes with certain video drivers
· Bugfix for regressions which prevented clients from joining Windows game servers and broke headless server mode on Windows
· Fontconfig bugfix to ensure package management maintained fonts are properly detected on all widespread Linux distributions
· Various fixes to cmake build system
· End of game statistics now always fit on screen