Slash'EM is a variant of the hugely popular roguelike game NetHack.
From the land before 3DFX, before VGA graphics and DOOM, before the IBM PC, way back in the dark ages of Unixland, there was a game. They called it Rogue. People played it, and found it good.
From this basis, Hack was born. Soon Hack became Nethack, because it was developed by many people (and has nothing to do with hacking the internet). And people played this on many machines, from Unices to Macs to PCs, due to the amazing power of Open Source Code.
But the DevTeam, the reclusive masterminds of Nethack, are a rather quiet bunch, gracing the world with new versions as they see fit, and when they see fit. Which is usually a new version every good number of years.
And there was much gnashing of teeth.
But because of the Freely Available Source Code Phenomenon, people began making their own versions of Nethack to tide themselves between magical releases.
SLASH'EM is the (continuing) saga of one such variant...
This is the homepage for Warren Cheung's modification and experiment in computer engineering based on the 3.3.1 release of Nethack, combining Tom Proudfoot's SLASH and the Larry Stewart-Zerba's Wizard Patch. From these humble beginnings, a not insignificant number of further changes have been added.
What's New in This Release:
· Autoconf improvements: -support for data librarian,
· fix default values in help strings,
· more portable use of test and sed,
· drop useless borg and shout features,
· recognize mingw32 platform for msys,
· support aclocal 1.7 (needed for msys development),
· basic support for Microsoft Window's native graphics,
· better determination of default windowing system,
· improved detection of libpng/zlib,
· support "make depend".
· Fixed bug 1231549: GNU autoconf vpath support is broken
· Fixed bug 1231579: Can't specify wizard with GNU autoconf
· Fixed bug 1258354: msys autoconf fails to detect strncmpi
· Fixed bug 1258355: autoconf Makefile.src assumes UNIX
· Fixed bug 1258357: configure doesn't set TTY_GRAPHICS under mingw32
· Fixed bug 1258358: No autoconf support for key handlers
· Fixed bug 1380333: Random seed problem (0.0.8)
· Fixed bug 1586568: Check for user 'games' Plus other fixes shared with the stable branch.