Escape Towards The Unknown 0.7.6
Escape Towards The Unknown is a graphic adventure (like Monkey's Island) written in C with SDL support.
The game's main character, Mike Clifford, has got a computers and robots factory. The research and development sector of this factory has almost completed a brand-new prototype of semi-intelligent automaton... but Mike has other things to think of, it's very long time that he doesn't spend his time in a holiday; a day infact, he decides to leave affairs for a pair of weeks and to use them to "recharge his batteries" (as he says).
Joined in Scotland (the place choosed for the holiday), Mike goes to the hotel in which he had booked.
While he's going to the airport to hire a piper and fly over the mountains, three suspicious men go down from a car with black glasses and approch him with threatening intentions, but as soon as one of the three men takes his arm, and pulls him, Mike exclaims: "Leave me! I can walk alone!" and taking advantage of a propitious moment, he goes away.
Mike, gets on a piper that is just landed and leave again, he doesn't care of mechanic's imprecations.
Covered few hundred of miles, the engine starts to subside and Mike is forced to throw with the parachute. Once he has throwned from the piper he sees a little group of houses under him. He handles the draughts of the parachute and manages to land in the middle of a square, but as he is out of training, he falls and he hits his head and he loses consciousness...
When he wakes up, he realizes to be in a little country far from every modern centre.
Here are some key features of "Escape Towards The Unknown":
· Graphics in 640x480 pixels at 256 colors;
· supports for SDL library;
· can be played in a window or full screen;
· brand new user command language interface;
· digitalized dialogues in many languages;
· user configurable;
· you can choose from a different set of GUI backgrounds.
1. First of all please assure to have the correct SDL library for your system.
2. After installed correctly the library on your system, please assure to have the latest version of the game.
3. After this steps, please take care to download the data files necessary to the game in order to run correctly.
4. Extract the data file using the preferred extracting tool, a directory will be created.
5. Copy the executable in that directory.
6. Also in that directory verify the existence of folders "newgfx" and "newminigfx", create them if they doesn't exists.
7. With a text editor open the Escape.cfg (please take care of the spelling if you are using a case sensitive filesystem as Linux) and change the preference according to your needs.
An example of configuration file is:
; Escape Towards The Unknown - example of config file
; Entrance graphical effect
; accepted values are: centre, gridded, vertical, horizontal and none
; Exit graphical effect
; accepted values are the same of wipe_in
; Graphics User Interface background image
; accepted values are: GUI/Mogano.GUI, GUI/Marmoverde.GUI, GUI/Larice.GUI
; Language used in subtitles
; Language used for converses
; Enable or disable sounds
; Enable or disable background music
; Enable or disable game introduction
; Switch between full screen and window mode
; with on, the game run in a window.
What's New in This Release:
· Rewritten from scratch procedures used to handle game lists in order to remove some bugs.
· Mouse buttons handling of the area out of the interface was done also during speaking!